Thursday, March 7, 2013

Post-It Printing

I saw the idea on pinterest about a year ago to print directly onto post-it notes and thought it was so cool but never ended up trying it out until couple days ago.  

I had kids do a short activity to extend something they had done in their ISN and wanted to give them some feedback on it but not write on their papers since they are getting hung up.  I was going to give them 10 points on it and rather than an arbitrary 8/10 it occurred to me that printing up a quick rubric onto the post-its would be way better and less that I'd have to actually write out for each of them. 


Love it.  So easy.  I'm not sure why but for some reason I imagined the post-its jamming and getting all stuck in the printer (I'm paranoid) but it all worked perfectly.  FYI I used a laser printer...not sure if this makes a difference.  For the template click here.

Only thing that I didn't think about (which is my fault for not really reading the directions) was forgetting to erase the borders when I went to print onto the post-its.  So the first batch wound up with some extra lines around the edges.

I think that printing post-it coordinate planes to stick into ISNs would also be cool and useful so that may be next.

On an unrelated note- and a bit of a rant- I'm tired of giving kids any less than 100%.  I graded these and many of the kids left parts off.  Some didn't define variables, some didn't list possible solutions, some didn't graph correctly.  So the way I see it there were two options:

  • Option 1: Put the grades into the computer and complain that I can't believe these kids didn't follow directions after I made it so clear.  Call them lazy because I gave them a detailed example.  Tell them that they got grades they deserved. Be angry that they don't know what they're doing.
  • Option 2: Don't put the grades in.  Pass back papers with feedback and let kids make corrections.  Let them see what they forgot and where they were missing points.  Have them look at examples of correctly done ones.  Recollect them, enter 100%'s for everyone because they now deserve them and be happy that now they understand what they're doing and what I wanted from them.
I went with option 2.  That is all.

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant idea! So much easier than printing a small rubric, cutting it, and then stapling it to an assignment. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning!
    This is from an exhausted, just finished 140 algebra report card grades, teacher in sunny Florida.
    I want to say thank you to the nth degree! You are amazing and I want to say thank you for all you do and all you share.
    The post-its have been on my mind for a long time. You gave me all I need to begin.

    Have a great Saturday and know that a 58-year-old teacher, who has been teaching for 37 years says a great BIG thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...